Skip to main content
Please wait...

Former Cracow Bishops’ Palace in Kielce

The seat of the National Museum in Kielce is a palace, which once belonged to Cracow Bishops. The Cracow Bishops’ palace was founded by Jakub Zadzik in the years 1637–1641. The bishops’ palace is one of the best-preserved monuments of architecture in Poland dating back to the times of the Waza dynasty.

The rooms on the first floor retained their original interiors, beam ceilings, ceilings decorated with paintings and walls decorated with friezes. At the back of the residence, they restored a decorative Italian garden with quarter arrangement dating back to the 17th century. The Museum conducting its activities in the place houses the following permanent exhibitions: Historic Interiors of the 17th and 18th centuries; Ancient European and Polish armament, the sanctuary of the Marshal Józef Piłsudski and the Gallery of Polish Painting and Decorative Art (with works of arts of such artists as, among others, P. Michałowski, J. Kossak, J. Brandt, J. Chełmoński and J. Malczewski).

Sandomierska 243, 27-440 Ćmielów